The era of disco, bell bottoms, and bold makeup looks has long passed but has left behind a lasting impact on the beauty industry. The 1970s were characterized by bright colors, glittery lids, and natural skin. This decade was all about self-expression through makeup looks that ranged from subtle to daring.
The Natural Look
In contrast to the heavy contouring trend of today’s makeup scene, the 1970s favored a more natural complexion look. It was all about embracing your natural features rather than masking them with layers of foundation. Tinted moisturizers or light coverage foundations were popular choices for achieving this effortless look.
While neutral shades dominated during daytime events in the ’70s, nighttime was when things got more experimental with bold eyeshadow hues like blue or green paired with thick eyeliner applied along both lash lines.
To achieve this look today, you can pick up an eye shadow palette featuring vibrant shades like fuchsia or teal and use it to create a simple smoky eye or a dramatic cut crease.
- Anastasia Beverly Hills Norvina Pro Pigment Palette Vol. 4: This palette includes 25 pigmented shades ranging from pastels to deep blues that will help you recreate any iconic ’70s eye look.
A dewy complexion is one thing that never goes out of style! In addition to light-coverage base products which enhance your natural skin texture; highlighters are also an essential part of creating radiant-looking skin in the ’70s-inspired makeup routine. When choosing highlighter products, it’s essential to opt for those with a subtle sheen rather than an overt shimmer. A gentle dusting of highlighter applied to the cheekbones, bridge of the nose or cupid’s bow can instantly make your skin look alive and glowing.
- Fenty Beauty Killawatt Freestyle Highlighter: Choose from 7 different shades in this versatile highlighter range that can be used on any skin tone for a natural-looking glow.
The 1970s saw bright pinks and bold reds taking center stage when it came to lipsticks. Shades like hot pink and coral are perfect choices for daytime events while darker hues like Bordeaux were popping at night parties. To pull off this look today, pick up a matte lipstick in any of these bright colors paired with a simple eye makeup look.
- M.A.C Retro Matte Lipstick: With over 45 shades available; ranging from vibrant corals to deep berries, this is one of our favorite lipstick formulas that stay put all day long.
The Disco Look
No ’70s makeup guide would be complete without mentioning the disco look! Glitter was everywhere during that era – on eyes, cheeks, lips – you name it! And not just regular glitter – we’re talking chunky flakes here! To achieve this iconic disco-inspired look today; opt for chunky glitter eyeshadows or pigments which you can apply along lids using an adhesive base.
- NYX Professional Makeup Metallic Glitter Eyeshadow: Available in six shades; This lightweight formula delivers high-impact sparkle without feeling heavy or sticky on lids.
The Bohemian Look
The ’70s bohemian look was all about embracing natural beauty with an effortless makeup routine. Think soft, creamy blushes that gave the cheeks a subtle flush while keeping skin looking fresh and dewy. To recreate this look today, opt for earthy-toned eyeshadows paired with a rosy blush and a lip color in similar tones.
- Nars Blush in Orgasm: This peachy-pink shade has been around since the ‘90s and still remains one of the most raved-about blush shades. It complements every skin tone.
If you’re looking to add some vintage charm into your everyday makeup routine, then ’70s-inspired makeup is just what you need! From glowing skin to bold eyes – we hope our guide on the best products and looks from this era have inspired you to create some eye-catching new styles!