In India and other regions of Asia and Africa, mehendi design (or henna design) is a form of temporary body art. The process involves staining the skin with a reddish-brown paste prepared from crushed henna leaves that can persist for up to two weeks. Weddings, festivals, and other special occasions are great opportunities to show off your unique mehendi design.
But how can you determine which mehendi pattern will look best on your skin and reflect your character? The colour, design, pattern, and location of the mehendi are only a few of the many considerations. Following the advice in this article will help you zero in on the ideal mehendi pattern for you.
Consider your skin tone
The colour of your skin should be your first consideration while picking a mehendi pattern. Mehendi designs done in various colours and tones can complement or clash with natural skin tones. Some broad rules of thumb are outlined below:
- Fair skin: You can choose whatever colour or shade of mehendi you choose if you have fair or light skin since they will all show up clearly. However, mehendi that is too dark, like black, can make your skin look unnatural or harsh. Mehendi comes in a variety of colours, and you may jazz up your style with red, green, or blue designs.
- Medium skin: If you have medium or olive skin, you can also experiment with different colors and shades of mehendi, as they will all complement your skin tone. However, avoid very light or pale mehendi, as it can look washed out or faded on your skin. You can also try metallic or glitter mehendi, such as gold, silver, or bronze, to add some sparkle and glamour to your look.
- Dark skin: If you have dark or brown skin, you can go for rich and deep colors and shades of mehendi, such as burgundy, chocolate, or navy, as they will contrast well with your skin tone. However, avoid very bright or neon mehendi, as it can look tacky or cheap on your skin. You can also try white or cream mehendi, which can create a stunning and elegant effect on your skin.
Consider your personality
The next thing to consider when choosing a mehendi design is your personality. Different styles and patterns of mehendi can reflect different aspects of your personality. Here are some examples:
- Simple and minimalistic: If you are a simple and minimalistic person, you can go for a simple and elegant mehendi design that covers only a small area of your skin. You can choose a single motif or a geometric pattern that suits your taste. You can also opt for a single color or shade of mehendi that matches your outfit or accessories.
- Bold and adventurous: If you are a bold and adventurous person, you can go for a bold and intricate mehendi design that covers a large area of your skin. You can choose a complex motif or a floral pattern that catches attention. You can also opt for multiple colors or shades of mehendi that create a striking and colorful effect.
- Romantic and feminine: If you are a romantic and feminine person, you can go for a romantic and delicate mehendi design that covers a medium area of your skin. You can choose a heart-shaped motif or a lace pattern that expresses love. You can also opt for pastel colors or shades of mehendi that create a soft and sweet effect.
Consider the placement
The last thing to consider when choosing a mehendi design is the placement. Different parts of the body can suit different types of mehendi designs. Here are some suggestions:
- Hands: The hands are the most common and traditional place to apply mehendi designs. You can choose any type of mehendi design for your hands, depending on your preference and occasion. You can also decorate your fingers and nails with mehendi designs to complete your look.
- Feet: The feet are another common and traditional place to apply mehendi designs. You can choose any type of mehendi design for your feet, depending on your preference and occasion. You can also adorn your toes and ankles with mehendi designs to enhance your beauty.
- Arms: The arms are a modern and trendy place to apply mehendi designs. You can choose a simple or a complex mehendi design for your arms, depending on your preference and occasion. You can also create a bracelet or a cuff effect with mehendi designs to accessorize your look.
- Back: The back is a sexy and stylish place to apply mehendi designs. You can choose a small or a large mehendi design for your back, depending on your preference and occasion. You can also create a necklace or a choker effect with mehendi designs to accentuate your neckline.
Mehendi design is a form of temporary body art that can enhance your beauty and express your personality. To choose the best mehendi design for your skin tone and personality, you need to consider the color, style, pattern, and placement of the mehendi design. You can also experiment with different types of mehendi designs to find the one that suits you best. Mehendi design is a fun and creative way to adorn your skin and celebrate your individuality.